Sep 27, 2022
Reporting losses and submitting applications for natural disaster assistance

If your operation was impacted by a natural disaster and you have an interest in participating in an available disaster assistance program, you should report losses and damages to Farm Service Agency (FSA) and/or your Approved Insurance Provider for crop insurance claims.

Timelines to file notices of loss and submit applications differ by program or coverage:

  • Tree Assistance Program: File a program application with your Service Center within 90 days.
  • Non-insured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP): File notice of loss with your Service Center within 15 days, except for hand-harvested crops, which should be filed within 72 hours. NAP forage producers with the intended use of grazing who elect to use independent assessments or other approved alternative loss percentage methods to establish their loss are no longer required to file Notice of Loss with FSA.
  • Crop Insurance: Contact your agent within 72 hours of discovering damage and follow up in writing within 15 days.

Programs & Resources

Tree Assistance Program

Hurricane Webpage

Emergency Conservation Program 

Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool

Disaster-at-a-Glance fact sheet

Farm Loan Discovery Tool

For assistance with a crop insurance claim, producers and landowners should contact their crop insurance agent.

For FSA and Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) programs, they should contact their local USDA Service Center.

Producers of crops for which crop insurance is not available should consider FSA’s Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP).

– Georgia Pecan Growers Association


Be sure to check out our other specialty agriculture brands

produceprocessingsm Organic Grower

75 Applewood Drive, Suite A
P.O. Box 128
Sparta, MI 49345
Get one year of National Nut Grower in both print and digital editions.

Interested in reading the print edition of National Nut Grower?

Subscribe Today »