Aug 30, 2023USDA amends the Federal Marketing Order for California Walnuts
California walnut growers voted for six amendments to the federal marketing order regulating the handling of walnuts grown in the state, according to an email from the USDA.
USDA shared that the amendments voted on include:
- Eliminate the mandatory inspection and certification of inshell and shelled walnuts and of shelled walnuts for processing
- Create a new mechanism for determining and collecting handler assessments
- Authority to charge interest for late payments
- Establish an assessment rate of $0.0125 per inshell pound of walnuts
- Expand the definition of “to handle” to include “receive” and remove volume control authority.
Additionally, the USDA noted that “other parts of the marketing order will be modified to allow the amendments to be effective.”
The amendments will become effective on Sep. 20, 2023. For more information, visit 984 California Walnuts online.